Wednesday, May 16, 2007

President of India

All around India, meetings are going on about who is to be the next President. The fact that that the President is more of a symbolic head, rather than the ultimate figure of power like the one in US, makes the candidate more of the academic type. Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam is an extraordinary person and I admire his talks and attitude. I consider myself lucky to have seen him face to face and heard his words live. They are truly inspiring and listening to them aroused in me an immense feeling of patriotism that has never been replicated before or thereafter in my mind.

But the question remains....how many of us are truly willing to act like he says? For every hundred people that listen to him, how many sincerely try to make a difference? I don't want to blame anyone or anything, but I feel that most people give his talks the same kind of attention as, lets say a moral science class.

Here, I remember the words of one of my English teachers. The gist of it was, as a President is just a figurehead, why should one of the best minds of India be wasted on that position? Indeed, Indian research has lost five years worth of brilliance and sheer genius as Dr. Abdul Kalam's services has been lost.

Any comments?....

No comments: